Thursday, August 16, 2012

Peanut Butter

Peanut butter? Yes, peanut butter. It's so easy that there's really no reason to buy it ever again.

As I'm committed to decluttering life (and pantry), the kids refuse to give up PB & Js for lunch. That's fine with me since I know what's in them. After making bread with the machine, we pull a can of strawberry jam from the fridge (that mommy made), and an empty jar of peanut butter. No need to fret. All you need are five things.

Peanuts, Almonds, Hazelnuts, Cashews, Etc. (Any nut will do. Not sure about pistachios though- will have to try)
Canola, grapeseed, olive, or Vege Oil
Food Processor or Blender
Spatula
Jar to store it in (I reuse my old peanut butter jar)

Some people do add 1-2 T honey or brown sugar to sweeten it up, but the kids are already sweet enough. 
You can either buy salted or unsalted nuts. I buy most of my groceries from Winco in the bulk section. Most of the time I don't need to shop in the middle/preservative filled shelves. I purchase the unsalted because the kids really don't need the extra sodium/salt. Make sure they are unshelled- no one likes to eat shells.



Pour your nuts into your food processor or blender. Mix until dry and coarse crumbs. Add 1T oil until smooth and creamy to your liking. I found that if you add a smidgen more oil, it turns out the same texture as store bought peanut butter.

Store it in the fridge. It will be hard when taking it out, so let it warm to room temperature before using. This makes the best peanut butter cookies.



I've found that even the kids can make this themselves. So one thing less for mommy to make! One can never prepare their child enough for the future ;) When they go to college, I'll know they can make their own peanut butter.

Different ingredients (nuts, oils, etc.) can be found here: http://pickyourown.org/howtomakepeanutbutter.htm
For an even fancier recipe: http://www.simplyscratch.com/2012/02/homemade-peanut-butter.html

Try this at home with your kids and post your results!

No comments:

Post a Comment